[Spacewalk-list] Problem Spacewalking CentOS 7 - repo groups and treeinfo not found

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:26:09 UTC 2016

We are running spacewalk 2.3 under CentOS 6. It has been happily deploying
CentOS 6 installs for a while but now we'd like to start rolling out CentOS
7. So far, using a vanilla KS file as generated by SW, installation only
gets as far as completing the partitioning before we get the error:

"You have specified the group 'Base' should be installed. This group does
not exist. Would you like to ignore this group and continue with
installation?"

packaging.log contains a number of errors saying that it failed to get the
groups for my C7 repos as well as a bunch of 404 errors for downloading the
treeinfo for the repos.

Has anyone else got stuck at this point with C7 under SW 2.3? If so, how
did you overcome it? I'm presuming C7 should deploy fine under CW 2.3 or
were there some C7-related issues that got fixed in 2.4 or 2.5?

My guess would be that the repo paths in the KS file are incorrect but they
look almost identical to the paths that work fine for us with CentOS 6. I
know the base of cobbler's web dir is /var/www/cobbler but does SW or one
of its components have any other dirs that it shares out by default and how
are they referenced by SW/cobbler? Working out the correct paths for the
repos is tricky when you don't know this and the sites are browsable.

I have tried using a yum repo fix snippet that claims to stop yum using
external repos but that didn't make any difference.

In trying to troubleshoot this I discovered there are at least 3 different
ways to sync your SW repos. I used spacewalk-repo-sync with the
--sync-kickstart switch but apparently you can do the same with rhnpush and
spacewalk-common-channels? Which is the recommended way?

Those are my main questions right now but I'm certain there is more I've
forgot to mention.

Thanks for your help!