[Spacewalk-list] Using getVar in a Snippet

William H. ten Bensel WHTENBEN at up.com
Mon Mar 7 23:16:42 UTC 2016

Uncertain about the getVar commands.  However the ks= can be found during
the kickstart in /proc/cmdline as it has the entire command line that was
sent via the anaconda boot options. This would include the ks= and other
variable that can be obtained as well.  ie.  ip, gateway, netmask,
nameserver and any other misc custom flags (do not have to be valid boot
options) for %post snippets.

So, this information could be written out to a file during the server
kickstart.  There may be some better ways to do this, but using
/proc/cmdline has worked for years and continues to do so in Cent/RHEL
7.x.

%post --nochroot
        cat /proc/cmdline > /mnt/sysimage/xxxx/xxxx.out

%post
        cat /proc/cmdline > /xxxx/xxxxx.out
        ksurl=`awk -F"ks=" '{print $1}'  /xxxx/xxxxx.out |awk '{print
$1}'`
        ks_profile="${ksurlf##*/}"
or  if cobbler or Cheetah has issues with the above...
        ks_profile=`echo "$ksurl" |rev |cut -d"/" -f1|rev`

- Thanks and good luck