[Spacewalk-list] US7ASCII UTF8 puzzle

fred dussault tanelorn26 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 22:06:18 UTC 2016

Hi Folks,
I have currently a CentOS  6.7 box running spacewalk 1.9 server  I'm in the middle of upgrading.  I got through to the spacewalk-setup --disconnected --external-oracle --upgrade part,and it replied like this.
Database is using an invalid (non-UTF8) character set: (NLS_CHARACTERSET = US7ASCII)The database server is an external oracle 10G box.
Now,  is this a new requirement?  I did the original install a couple of years ago, and it's been working perfectly fine from what I can tell.  is it possible that the initial install was done on a US7ASCII encoded database? Is there any reason why the initial install succeeded?  My DBA is telling me that the server has always been so encoded.

  My server is half way upgraded.  so my question is this:  Is there a way to legitimately use a US7ASCII encoded server?   My issue is that my DBA's for some reason don't want to migrate the database.  And getting a server that will do UTF8 seems to be a large production.  Any thoughts would be appreciated because right now, my rpm's are updated, the schema has been upgraded, and I'm in sort of a holding pattern.  I can provide any information regarding the spacewalk installation, and a little bit regarding the database back end.  I do have sqlplus access.
Thank you very much in advance.