[Spacewalk-list] Kickstarter - multiple problems?

Jonathan Hoser jonathan.hoser at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Thu Mar 10 12:55:10 UTC 2016

Hi Lachlan,

On 03/10/2016 06:34 AM, Lachlan Musicman wrote:
> We are having trouble with Cobbler/Kickstarter on Cisco M-Series servers.
>
> Spacewalk 2.4.x , running on Centos 7 7.2.1511
> According to Spacewalk, the Cobbler installed are:
> cobbler20-2.0.11-52.el7
> cobbler2-2.0.11-52.el7
> cobbler-loaders-1.0.3-1.el7
>
> Partly my own ignorance, but there are some things I would like to
> check with you all:
>
>  - the Cisco servers need a special Cisco SCSI disk driver installed
> into the kernel to see the LUN. I've added dd to the boot directives
> and it doesn't look in the right place? It only offers the opportunity
> for /dev/sr1 which is labelled Cobbler Install.
>
> Under kickstart details->advanced options we have
>
> driverdisk:
> --source=http://ISOSERVER/isos/driver_disk/dd-snic-0.0.1.22-1-centos-3.10.0-229.el7.img
>
> (we had the url raw, but I noticed in the resulting ks that the
> --source= wasn't included, and following the documentation here:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Installation_Guide/sect-kickstart-syntax.html
> apparently that needs to be part of the command)
that should work, I remember doing just that.

>  - then it fails to find the distro over http, each attempt getting a
> 404. Under Kickstart->Distro->variables, I have found
> "media_path=/ks/dist/org/1/Centos-7" which matches the url that fails:
>
> http://spacewalk.server/ks/dist/org/1/Centos-7/.treeinfo
> http://spacewalk.server/ks/dist/org/1/Centos-7/updates.img
> http://spacewalk.server/ks/dist/org/1/Centos-7/product.img
Ah, the 'hidden' pieces.
.treeinfo should be there. I'm not exactly sure, for what it is used,
but with its contents, it did sound like a good idea to have it. Check
your Distro-Iso, or the repos, there are .treeinfo files there.
Just copy it to your DISTRO-IMG-DIR (specified in the "Distro" section
of spacewalk).

> Visiting the above urls in the browser leads to blank pages
updates.img and product.img are not around per default.
Unless you need it, for e.g. patching anaconda on the install distro,
then, e.g. an updates.img could be created, that just contains the
patched files and some magic, to seemlessly fit into the kickstart image.

My guess is, that 'product.img' can do something similar, and if
available gets pulled into the early/pre-anaconda setup-steps.

> If I look in /etc/httpd/conf.d/zz-spacewalk-www.conf
>
> I see this
>
> RewriteRule ^/ks/dist(.*)$ /rhn/common/DownloadFile.do?url=/ks/dist$1
>
> But the redirect doesn't seem to happen.
>
> When I manually add the /rhn/common/DownloadFile.do?url= I at least
> get the spacewalk 404.
>
> The TreePath is set to /var/distro-trees/CentOS_7_minimal, which
> exists and is readable by apache (that folder and all below are 755).
> Inside that folder there is an images/pxeboot which contains:
> initrd.img
> TRANS.TBL
> upgrade.img
> vmlinuz
>
> No updates.img or product.img?
>
>  - Finally the installation fails properly because it can't find /,
> presumably because without the device driver in the kernel, it can't
> see the SCSI drive onto which it should be installing itself.
>
> If I get into a terminal (ctl-alt-f2), I can't see the drives, and
> lsmod/dmesg confirm the driver isn't loaded.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Does the driver need to be in teh cobbler image
> rather than the kickstarter?
>
> Cheers
> L.
>

> ------
> The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it
> this way."
>
> - Grace Hopper

Jonathan Hoser, M.Sc.
Institute of Bioinformatics and System Biology
Phone: +49-89-3187-4556
Fax: +49-89-3187-3585
Email: jonathan.hoser at helmholtz-muenchen.de
WWW: http://mips.helmholtz-muenchen.de