[Spacewalk-list] confused about channels and repositories

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Thu Mar 24 21:43:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

You can associate a single repo with multiple channels and Spacewalk will intelligently re-use the packages across channels without duplication. In this instance, running spacewalk-repo-sync or triggering a sync in the UI will not download any new packages, but rather Spacewalk will just do the package association with this channel.

Further, you can have a single EPEL repository providing packages for multiple EPEL channels. I do this a lot. :) I have an individual EPEL child channel for multiple base OL7 channels and each child is associated with the same repository. I still need to trigger a sync for each channel, but all that does is associate existing packages.

I don't recommend combining repositories in a single channel (i.e. activating both CentOS and EPEL into a single channel) as it become way more difficult to prevent packages from being available to downstream clients and it can complicate dependency resolution.

We provide a brief overview of this in our Spacewalk whitepaper: https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-921379

Cheers,
Avi

> On 25 Mar 2016, at 2:43 AM, Elizabeth Jones <oogiejonz at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I am a little confused about channels and repositories.  I have centos and oracle servers so i need two different base channels.  However, we also have an epel repository that all servers need to access.  I tried creating a new channel that could contain packages from both the centos repo and the epel repo -- but spacewalk is now telling me that this channel has no packages, although the packages exist in the repositories.  Do I need to disassociate these repositories from the other channels in order to use them in this channel? Can I have two base channels set up and have both use the epel repository?  Right now it seems to be telling me that it needs to sync both repos for use in the new channel.
>
> thanks,
> EJ

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Product Management Director | +61 (3) 8616 3496
Oracle Linux and Virtualization