[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart and Config management

William H. ten Bensel WHTENBEN at up.com
Thu Mar 31 02:07:22 UTC 2016

So, Step 4 part 2 is good.  Which means that the activation key is setup
correctly.  I am uncertain of the logging as we no longer use or depend on
the activation key deploying files during the kickstart process.

Also, some explanation on the "hack".  These are all historical issues for
our needs.  They may have been fixed in newer spacewalk releases, we just
have not adopted them.

1. Timing.
        The files from the Activation key/Configuration channels were not
always immediately available in the first %post script that the file/files
were needed.  If we put a sleep 90, then the files would become available.
        Determined that the "hack" was better suited for our needs vs the
sleep.
        Note: RHEL/CentOS 4 (if anyone is still kickstarting/building),
have to re-run the hack twice.  Sometimes rhncfg-client get fails to
actually get all of the files the first time.
2. Backups.
        The activation key does not make backups (that we could find) of
the original files replaced. Honestly we did not spend much time looking
for them, so I may be mistaken in this comment.
        rhncfg-client get backup location -> /var/lib/rhncfg/backups/
3. Migrating servers from one Satellite/Spacewalk to another
Satellite/Spacewalk (Migration of thousands of servers in < 30 days and
still having the Spacewalks and Satellites available for new server
builds)
        Re-use of the standard activation key vs creating a "migration
one" to rhnreg_ks --force, when migrating
        If the activation key on the new Spacewalk/Satellite has
Configuration File Deployment checked in the Activation key, it will
override ANY local file that was modified outside of the config channel.
We did not want this..
        Determined that for our needs, it was better to have Configuration
File Deployment NOT checked, because we can use the "hack"
        If any of the files in a configuration channel needs to be pushed,
you can use the UI or run a spacecmd script with rhncfg-client get file.
The config will be pushed the next time the server checks in with rhnsd
(rhn_check) or immediately if using osad.

Suggestion: Create a wrapper around this which sources in the
username/password/spacewalk server, so that it is not visible in bash
history.
spacecmd -s $myspacewalk -u $myuser -p $mypass -- system_runscript
$serverlist -u root -g root -t 7200 -f $myfile
file:
#!/bin/bash
rhncfg-client get file
- Thanks and good luck