[Spacewalk-list] Channel subscription question

Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro waldirio at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 04:30:47 UTC 2017

Hi Chris, good morning

There are some points here, so if you create one Base channel / Child
channel and this one is connected to your repository, you could or not use
this channel to your machines, the point is, if you define the sync *for
example* daily, every day probably you will receive one new package and
this one will be available to all machines registered on the base channel /
child channel.

Another approach should be you create one Base channel / Child channel that
will receive packages daily and create one locked channel *base and child*,
the difference is, you will control when new packages will be on the locked
channel *imho this should be the best approach because you knows in fact
what you have there*. The clone you could do via webUI or just via cli
*spacewalk-clone-by-date*.

About register your machines and see all child channels, will be according
the way that you are registering, for example, if you create Activation
Keys to register, there you will be able to define the Base channel and all
child channels that you would like to enable by default. If you register
manually you could enable / disable repos.

There are a lot of emails on thread [1] saying how to do this workflow and
I wrote one book just to share this kind of information, one complete
workflow, since installation until the end, covering management,
registration, administrative tasks, etc, feel free to check here [2].

Let me know if you have any additional question.

Have a good one.

[1]. https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/
[2].
https://www.amazon.com/Spacewalk-Satellite-Project-solution-management-ebook/dp/B071DDQ4W2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492602720&sr=1-1&keywords=spacewalk+satellite