[Spacewalk-list] OSAD can't connect to host and port

Daryl Rose darylrose at outlook.com
Wed Feb 15 15:55:26 UTC 2017

I just did a fresh install of RHEL 6.6.  I installed Spacewalk client 2.6 onto the server.  All is good with the exception of OSAD.  Whenever I try to start it using services, I get the following error:

# service osad start

Starting osad: 2017-02-15 09:41:40 rhn_log.log_error: Error connecting to jabber server: Unable to connect to the host and port specified. See https://access.redhat.com/solutions/327903 for more information.

Error connecting to jabber server: Unable to connect to the host and port specified. See https://access.redhat.com/solutions/327903 for more information.

2017-02-15 09:41:40 rhn_log.log_error: Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 266, in setup_connection

    c = self._get_jabber_client(js)

  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 338, in _get_jabber_client

    c.connect()

  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 612, in connect

    raise socket.error(e)

error: Unable to connect to the host and port specified

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 266, in setup_connection

    c = self._get_jabber_client(js)

  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 338, in _get_jabber_client

    c.connect()

  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 612, in connect

    raise socket.error(e)

error: Unable to connect to the host and port specified

I'm not doing anything different with this install than I've been doing with all of my other RHEL servers.  This is an inside network, no firewall in between.  I am using fully qualified domain names.  I can telnet to port 5222 on the spacewalk server, and I can start osad with -N -v -v -v -v and get connected, so there is no issue with the port, or resolving the server name.  Could this be something in the 2.6 client and RHEL version 6.6?

Thanks

Daryl