[Spacewalk-list] Need to setup monthly patching - while keeping base release frozen.

Rick van der Linde rick at rilp.nl
Fri Jan 13 08:58:25 UTC 2017

Hi,

Currently I use to manage this by a seperate updates channel which syncs with Red Hat on daily base. Important to notice is to setup this in a child channel configuration. The parent (base) channel should contain no packages (or only the baseline packages). On monthly (or other tima base if preferred) the updates channel gets cloned. This clone channel then can be added to the host that needs to gets patched to the level wanted.

Advantage is that a newer cloend channel can simply be added to host and supersedes the previous cloned channels. Of course it's up to you to clean up older cloned channels (maintenance), which of course can be automated (by spacecmd).

Next to this updates channel I have release channels (for example 7.2) which allows me to deploy hosts on release specific level (if needed). If needed the cloned channels can be added to the deployment (kickstart) to provide up to level deployments.

Hope this may help you.

Rick