[Spacewalk-list] running rhn_check from cron

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Thu Nov 30 21:31:35 UTC 2017

Hi,

> On 1 Dec 2017, at 8:24 am, Robert Paschedag <robert.paschedag at web.de> wrote:
>
> Am 30. November 2017 21:15:22 MEZ schrieb "oogiejonz at yahoo.com" <oogiejonz at yahoo.com>:
>> I am looking at using spacewalk for orchestration - for instance, I
>> want to be able to upgrade an app on a group of servers every month
>> without any downtime.  To do this, I would need to ensure that the app
>> installs successfully on every server within a specific time frame.  I
>> have osad running on my servers so that in theory as soon as I send a
>> remote command from spacewalk it should run on the server, but keep
>> running into servers where commands don't run until I manually login
>> and run rhn_check.  So I'm thinking if I have rhn_check run from cron
>> every 15 minutes then the remote commands will always be picked up.  Is
>> there any downside to running rhn_check this frequently?
>
> Please try to stop osad on the problem systems, remove the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/osad-auth file and restart osad. This might fix your problem that jobs are not picked up instantly.

Alternatively, see if switching jabberd on your Spacewalk server from BerkeleyDB to SQLite makes it more stable. Instructions are here:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E52668_01/E85212/html/swk26-jabberd.html <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E52668_01/E85212/html/swk26-jabberd.html>

Cheers,
Avi

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Product Management Director | +61 (3) 8616 3496