[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk life expectancy

Tomáš Kašpárek tkaspare at redhat.com
Tue Oct 10 09:03:28 UTC 2017

Hello Colin,

On 10/09/2017 05:28 AM, Colin Coe wrote:
> Hi all
>
> With Satellite 5.8 slated for end of life January 2019, will Spacewalk
> continue to be able to sync RHEL content?
I see no reason, why Spacewalk shouldn't be able to sync RHEL content.

> My understanding is that RHEL7 content can be synchronised now, is the
> expectation that RHEL8 content will be sync'able?
I personally would expect so.

> For RHEL7 (and up-coming RHEL8), is the abmoniation that is
> subscription-manager be mandatory?
To receive updates for any RHEL machine, you'll need to register using
subscription-manager. The communication between the clients and the
Spacewalk server however remains the same - using the
rhn_register/rhnreg_ks/rhn_check.

> Just trying to find a way forward as, after working with Satellite v6
> for more than a year now, and having done RH403, it is an utterly
> unusable product.
>
> Thanks

Regards,
Tomas