[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk and Ubuntu version handling

Paul-Andre Panon paul-andre.panon at avigilon.com
Mon Sep 18 22:37:37 UTC 2017

On  Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:27 AM, Robert Paschedag [mailto:robert.paschedag at web.de] wrote:
>Am 18. September 2017 23:38:14 MESZ schrieb Paul-Andre Panon <paul-andre.panon at avigilon.com>:
>>Guten abend Herr Paschedag,
>>
>>The upgrade documentation wasn't clear, so I wiped out all the
>>channels, repos, and orphan packages using
>>http://www.hrbac.cz/2017/06/proper-way-to-delete-channelrepositorypacka
>>ges-in-spacewalk/ (except for the last step since /srv/satellite is
>>empty, and /var/satellite had no symlinks) Then I rebuilt my channels
>>and repos, and re-synced the packages from the repos.
>>I'll run any DB queries you might suggest to
>>confirm.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Paul-Andre Panon
>>Senior systems administrator
>>
>>Office: 604.629.5182 ext 2341 Mobile: 604.679.1617
>>

>No... That is exactly what I asked for. It's because the version string parsing changed and therefore, ALL packages need to be removed from the database and loaded in again.
>
>If you keep the packages and just upgrade to 2.7 nightly, you still have all the packages with the old algorithm (and old "wrong" version strings) in the database and this can cause such trouble as you described.
>
>That's why I asked.
>
>But if you already did fully wipe all packages and synced them again AND the error persists, then we have to dig deeper.
>
>Regards
>Robert

If you know the Postgresql queries that the Upgrade Packages page uses to build the candidate package list, I can run them against our database to try to figure out why they aren't working as expected.

I can also send you an rpm -q -i 	`rpm -q -a | fgrep "some filter you indicate"` if you want to verify that there isn't some incorrect package that is causing a problem. I do seem to be having another problem with PAM/AD authentication, even though our pam config files appear unchanged and our AD-integrated ssh logins still work, so maybe some package didn’t download and update somehow and that's causing API version incompatibilities. I manage the Spacewalk server with Spacewalk itself, and that proved a bit of a challenge during the jpackage repo switch for the 2.7 upgrade.

Cheers,

Paul-Andre