[Spacewalk-list] configuration file question

Bill Howe howe.bill at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 12:35:58 UTC 2017

To answer the channel question; you should create a new config channel that
deploys that file to the sub-set of systems you are targeting.

The following general guidelines for config channel organization work well
for our company:

   - base config channel (generic system config you want applied to ALL
   systems no matter what and that are NOT OS specific)
   - os specific channels (ie: centos 6 and centos 7 channels that deploy
   files that are specific to the respective OS's)
   - server role channels (ie: web servers, processing nodes, etc)
      - Additionally, it can be helpful to split the server role config
      channels into your environments such as a Dev, Testing, and Production
      version of the channel (ie: web servers dev, web servers testing, web
      servers prod). This can help with change management and ensuring
you don't
      push out mass changes to production that breaks it.

Order their precedence so that the more specific they get, the config
channels can over ride the ones below it.
Have registration keys auto subscribe systems to their base and os specific
channels.
You will then need to provide your own method of subscribing systems to
role specific channels. (either manually or using some sort of automation
with the APIs)

Good luck!

Bill Howe
howe.bill at gmail.com <http://www.linkedin.com/in/whowe>