[Spacewalk-list] Rename Spacewalk server

William H. ten Bensel WHTENBEN at up.com
Mon Apr 9 15:32:00 UTC 2018

Just as FYI --> To avoid running the spaceawalk-hostname-rename scripts in
the future and easily migrate from one server to another, you can use a
cname for all of the details.
        IE You can have a standby server with spacewalk installed on. Then
all you have to do is flip the cname and some filesystems over to and the
application is backup and running.  We have a required 99% uptime SLA for
our environment.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2016-May/msg00129.html

1. DNS cname point to the A record of the server

2. Use the FQDN of the cname for the SSL cert

3.  update /etc/hosts
IP    (FQDN of cname)      (leaf domain of the cname or the characters
before the first dot)

4. update /etc/sysconfig/network or /etc/hostname

Linux < 6 HOSTNAME=FQDN
Linux > 7 /etc/hostname should contain the FQDN of the cname

5. Update the hostname to the cname

Note: If you are using ISS, you have to specify the A records of the
server as ISS in Spacewalk does not support cnames in this manner.  I had
a ticket opened with our support and they closed this as a will not fix.

- Thanks and good luck