[Spacewalk-list] [External] Spacewak 2.7 and PgPool-II integration problems

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 21:05:41 UTC 2018

well I've done this before and sadly you are going down a rabbit hole with
no benefits.
I'm not sure why you are getting that specific error because you haven't
provided sufficient information to debug it but you shouldn't bother.
there are a few architectural points that make that solution not work in
this case
first is how PGpool determine which queries go to the master and which get
load balanced. anything done in a transaction is assumed to write and
anything not in a transaction is assumed to be read only, this assumption
makes PGPool incompatible with JDBC because JDBC wrapps every thing in a
transaction so all queries will go to the master.
Second its recommended you use different users for read and write queries
but spacewalk doesn't support this.
third PGPool recommends you have 3 servers not 2 because then it can auto
recover with no down time.

in your senario what i recommend is using something like keepalived with a
monitoring script a vip and a master and slave notify script and simply use
PostgreSQL's native hotmode replication.