[Spacewalk-list] Your experiences with different distros

Sadri, Wafa (BITBW) Wafa.Sadri at bitbw.bwl.de
Thu Mar 15 11:50:57 UTC 2018

Hey everyone,

I'm curious as to how many different distributions / versions of distributions you guys are using in your spacewalk setup? How does this affect your spacewalks performance overall? How many channels do you have and how often do you sync channels?

Currently we're running 7 different distributions on 95 channels, at least 70% of which sync on a regular schedule ranging from daily (for base channels) and weekly (for specialized channels). Our Spacewalk is busy through most of the day, leaving it with about 4-5 hours of idle time in a 24h schedule. That was possible because one distro was removed recently, before we had about 1-2 hours of idle time where nothing would happen. Also, we're managing close to 500 machines (both virtual and bare metal) with Spacewalk now.

I'd like to know if anyone uses Spacewalk in a similarly large enviroment or even larger and how you guys set up the machines parameters, and your general experience with Spacewalk in your large environment.

regards,
Wafa