[Spacewalk-list] activation keys

Nicole Beck nskyrca at syr.edu
Wed Mar 21 19:02:12 UTC 2018

Hello,
I'm looking for recommendations for setting up activation keys. Do you normally have an activation key set for each OS version(centos6, centos7) , and specify the appropriate base and child channels in each? I tested this, and registering the client with "rhnreg_ks" and the appropriate key, and I my client is subscribed to the expected channels.

I'm also testing the "Spacewalk Default" base channel and the "Universal Default" key, and it's not working as I expect it to.  Is there a way to setup a "generic" spacewalk activation key so that client registering with it is subscribed to the channels for the correct OS version?  I'm thinking of something analogous to using "rhn_register" to register a RH server with the old RHN, or an Oracle Enterprise Server with ULN, you type in your username and password, and something behind the scenes figures out what OS version is installed and subscribes you to the correct channels.  Is that what "Spacewalk Default" and "Universal Default" do, or am I misunderstanding it.  I've created base and child channels for centos-6 and centos-7, but I don't have a channel named "Spacewalk Default".

Any tips would be helpful.
Thanks!
Nicole

Nicole Beck
Information Technology Analyst
Information Technolgy Services - Core Infrustructure Services - Unix
315.506.9744
nskyrca at syr.edu<mailto:nskyrca at syr.edu>
215 Machinery Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244
syracuse.edu