[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk got forked?! WTF is going on?!

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 12:36:35 UTC 2018

Something is seriously wrong here.

Today, I woke up to the news that SUSE forked Spacewalk[0] into Uyuni[1]
(which frankly, is a hard name to say...). The explicit reason they gave
for this was that despite requests to the community to step up to take over
the Spacewalk project, the current Spacewalk leadership refused SUSE's
offer to lead the community.

To me, something sounds fishy about this, because I've historically known
Red Hat folks to be very much community-first, so if Red Hat as a company
was no longer interested in Satellite 5/Spacewalk, transitioning it to
someone else who was interested in it should have been easy. However, the
evidence they gave was pretty compelling[2]. At the same time, I have no
means of verifying whether or not what SUSE is saying is true.

As a Spacewalk user, I'm incredibly disappointed that the leadership
managed to successfully drive away an interested party. At my scale (tens
of servers), Spacewalk serves my needs perfectly.

However, for those who think that Uyuni will be any better, my past
experience with most SUSE teams has not been pleasant. They're usually not
the most responsive group with their open source projects (KIWI[3]
excepted). It's not a good sign that the SUSE Manager project development
didn't already exist as an open branch to begin with.

A splinter in the small development community around Spacewalk sucks, and
the cursory glance at Uyuni seems to indicate that things are pretty broken
for non-SUSE distributions.

What is it going to take to heal this divide so that Uyuni goes away and
the SUSE folks are part of the Spacewalk community?

Please, I beg of you guys, fix this, please!

[0]:
https://news.opensuse.org/2018/05/26/uyuni-forking-spacewalk-with-salt-and-containers/
[1]: https://www.uyuni-project.org
[2]: