[Spacewalk-list] [Spacewalk-devel] Spacewalk got forked?! WTF is going on?!

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:25:07 UTC 2018

Well, my hope was that SUSE would gradually take over the Spacewalk project
as Red Hat fades out of it and become more involved across all the
communities that leverage Spacewalk.

I might even be so lucky as to see @suse.de / @suse.com email addresses in
changelog entries for clients for Fedora/CentOS packages in Fedora and
EPEL. :)
On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 11:09 AM Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:

> Considering Spacewalk is the upstream for Red Hat Satellite 5.x and
Satellite 5 is end-of-life within a year, I'm not sure this move by SUSE is
a surprise.

> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3128641

> I wonder how much longer Red Hat will provide engineering time focused on
Spacewalk 2.8+ when Satellite 6 is their future.  Spacewalk may become
solely a community-supported open-source project in the near future
depending on how much time Red Hat employees are allowed to continue
working on it.  I'm not looking forward to that day, to be honest, because
my team relies on Spacewalk heavily and if it falls into decay, we'll have
to look elsewhere.

wrote:

>> Hi list

>> Taking the news on Twitter there was some interesting discussion as well

>> https://twitter.com/dmacvicar/status/1000652216523546624?s=19

>> Between Jan Wildeboer (community manager at RH ) and Duncan Mac-Vicar

>> The video presentation is interesting as well

>> Best,

>> Nikos

>> On May 28, 2018 17:19, "Luca Menegus" <lucam at dbmsrl.com> wrote:

>> Hi Neal,
>>    thank you for sharing this.

Uyuni[1]
>> > (which frankly, is a hard name to say...). The explicit reason they
gave
>> > for this was that despite requests to the community to step up to take
over
>> > the Spacewalk project, the current Spacewalk leadership refused SUSE's
>> > offer to lead the community.
>> >
>> > To me, something sounds fishy about this, because I've historically
known
>> > Red Hat folks to be very much community-first, so if Red Hat as a
company
>> > was no longer interested in Satellite 5/Spacewalk, transitioning it to
>> > someone else who was interested in it should have been easy. However,
the
>> > evidence they gave was pretty compelling[2]. At the same time, I have
no
>> > means of verifying whether or not what SUSE is saying is true.
>> >
>> > As a Spacewalk user, I'm incredibly disappointed that the leadership
>> > managed to successfully drive away an interested party. At my scale
(tens
>> > of servers), Spacewalk serves my needs perfectly.

>> We also relay on Spacewalk to manage our (CentOS) hosts.

>> > However, for those who think that Uyuni will be any better, my past
>> > experience with most SUSE teams has not been pleasant. They're usually
not
>> > the most responsive group with their open source projects (KIWI[3]
>> > excepted). It's not a good sign that the SUSE Manager project
development
>> > didn't already exist as an open branch to begin with.
>> >
>> > A splinter in the small development community around Spacewalk sucks,
and
>> > the cursory glance at Uyuni seems to indicate that things are pretty
broken
>> > for non-SUSE distributions.

>> That would be a serious problem for us. From your findings it appears
that we would need to choose between security fixes only or something where
RH derivatives distro like CentOS would probably be second class citizen.

>> > What is it going to take to heal this divide so that Uyuni goes away
and
>> > the SUSE folks are part of the Spacewalk community?
>> >
>> > Please, I beg of you guys, fix this, please!

>> Yes please!

>> At least some clear statement from Spacewalk maintainers and/or
developers would be much appreciated.

https://news.opensuse.org/2018/05/26/uyuni-forking-spacewalk-with-salt-and-containers/

https://github.com/spacewalkproject/spacewalkproject.github.io/commit/24535d079f091c2f2a23a6ff6defafe9cf134577