[Spacewalk-list] size of repo has gotten out of control

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Fri Nov 9 15:50:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

> On 10 Nov 2018, at 2:13 am, Robin Beardsley <RBeardsley at nedelta.com> wrote:
>
> The size of my oracle linux 7 repository has grown to 640G over the past year.  Can anyone suggest how I can safely remove packages to clean up space.  How do I know what I can remove

Yes, we're aware of this and have actually just completed a series of changes that will make life easier. The most obvious change is that we're now only storing the latest patches:

https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/upcoming-change-to-oracle-linux-package-channels

If you have a patching strategy that allows you to upgrade your fleet to the latest released versions of an RPM or you're using channel promotion to achieve a similar result, I suggest deleting all the older versions of each RPM from the database using a script like https://github.com/angrox/spacewalk-api-scripts/tree/master/spacewalk-remove-old-packages

Moving forward, you may want to investigate the use of the "Latest" option for repo syncing, which only pulls the latest version of each package from the source in combination with running the spacewalk-remove-old-packages script at regular intervals as well.

Hope that helps,
Avi

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Product Management Director | +61 (3) 8616 3496