[Spacewalk-list] spacewalk-setup --external-postgresql on external RDS instance FAILS

Jason Hunt huntjason01 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 01:50:30 UTC 2018

When I run spacewalk-setup --external-postgresql I am receiving the below
error and with the details being thin, not sure what the potential issue is;

# spacewalk-setup --external-postgresql
* Setting up SELinux..
** Database: Setting up database connection for PostgreSQL backend.
Hostname (leave empty for local)? my.remote.database
Port [5432]?
Database [spacewalk]?
Username [myuser]?
Password [******]?
** Database: Populating database.
*** Progress: #
Could not populate database.

/var/log/rhn/populate_db.log  and rhn_installation.log contain the
following;

# cat populate_db.log
*psql:/etc/sysconfig/rhn/postgres/deploy.sql:4: ERROR:  extension "dblink"
already exists*

# cat rhn_installation.log
Installation log of Spacewalk
Command: /bin/spacewalk-setup
Running /usr/sbin/spacewalk-selinux-enable
Running /usr/sbin/osa-dispatcher-selinux-enable

I can utilize psql to connect and verify database;
psql -h my.remote.database -U myuser -W -d spacewalk

Password for user satellite_app:
psql (9.2.24, server 9.6.8)
WARNING: psql version 9.2, server version 9.6.
         Some psql features might not work.
SSL connection (cipher: ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, bits: 256)
Type "help" for help.

spacewalk=> \l
                                  List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |   Access
privileges
spacewalk | master   | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance for the help.