[Spacewalk-list] Need to know about spacewalk internal architecture and why spacewalk is taking time to deploy scheduled actions

Dennis Pittman djpittma at outlook.com
Tue Apr 2 14:45:02 UTC 2019

Response in-line

Hi,

Hope you all are doing good.

I have recently installed spacewalk on RHEL 7.6 as server configuration management tool. I have few doubts as follows:

  1.  Could you please let me know how Spacewalk pushes packages to the clients?
a.       Does Spacewalk store the packages on the Spacewalk server and push these packages to Client?  The default is to setup a software repository  so that packages can be pulled from the spacewalk server.

OR
b.      Does Spacewalk send the command to the client servers and client servers will then reach out to internet and download the packages?  This depends on your setup, you can enable OSAD<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi-2JLN0LHhAhUu2FkKHTiQAbIQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fspacewalkproject%2Fspacewalk%2Fwiki%2FOsadHowTo&usg=AOvVaw3nli6m6b8TG4JwyRQeymfF> to change how and how often the spacewalk server contacts the clients and perform various management operations (to include patch management, configuration, and etc.).

  1.  Does Spacewalk support Primary/secondary site (Microsoft SCCM Architecture) for package redistribution to clients. i.e. If I have a remote Datacenter, instead of pushing packages to individual clients, can we have a Spacewalk secondary site that will get the package from master and redistribute the packages to clients locally?  Yes, you can configure multiple spacewalk servers (i.e. you can have a single master (primary) spacewalk server with several spacewalk proxies that reach out to several different client environments).  A good reference resource https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E92593_01/E85211/html/swk24-arch.html

  1.  I see that scheduled activities (like reboot, patching, etc) are taking a lot of time (1.30 hours delay) and crosses the scheduled window. However, I see that as a workaround when I run "rhn_check" command on the client manually, deployment status on Spacewalk changes to succeeded. .  That's because of how your initial setup is configured, if you want faster response to queued jobs then look into option (1.b), otherwise check taskomatic to make certain that you don't have queued jobs causing delays and setup a cron on the client to complete queued jobs (from the spacewalk server).  https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2015-January/msg00173.html

Thanks!

Regards,
Debayan Mukherjee