[Spacewalk-list] Oddball question about Spacewalk possibly corrupting yum update

Paul Greene paul.greene.va at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 15:59:47 UTC 2019

I built a Spacewalk 2.7 server for managing a couple hundred CentOS 6
workstations, and synced it to a local yum repository.

After a few months I started adding some CentOS 7 systems to the mix, and
also synced to the same local yum repository (same server, different path
to the repositories, of course).

The Spacewalk server always seemed to have an issue getting a successful
full sync with the CentOS 7 local repository after the 7.6 series came out.
I wasn't concerned at first because the systems were configured to go to
the local yum repository anyway (configured in /etc/yum.repos.d).

After the CentOS 7.6 series came out, I started having an issue with any
machine that got the 7.6 updates where the system would freeze and lock up,
requiring a hard reboot to get it usable again. That happened on at least a
daily basis and sometimes multiple times a day. I rolled those users back
to CentOS 7.5 to get them a functioning stable machine again, and didn't
update anybody that was running 7.5. It seemed definitely related to X
windows - I could still go to a command prompt with ctrl-alt-f2 and work
from a command prompt, but X windows wouldn't come back without a hard
reboot. On a couple of servers that didn't need X windows and had the run
level set to multi-user.target, they didn't have an issue - it was only the
workstations that needed X windows.

I have access to another yum repository independent of the Spacewalk
server, and noticed if I updated a workstation to that repository and did
NOT join the machine to the Spacewalk server, they all ran fine with CentOS
7.6. As long as I didn't join them to the Spacewalk server there were no
issues. I tried deleting the CentOS 7 yum repository from the Spacewalk
server, thinking maybe the yum repository on the Spacewalk server had
gotten corrupted and was pushing out some bad files, but that didn't work.

The systems still seem to be looking to the Spacewalk server for updates,
regardless of what is in /etc/yum.repos.d.

Hopefully someone else has seen something like this before. I would either
like to remove any and all yum configurations from the Spacewalk server, if
possible, and just point to the local yum repository for any kind of
updates.

Barring that, I'm interested in updating to Spacewalk 2.9 anyway, and would
build a new 2.9 server, migrate everything over to that, and leave out any
yum repository configuration at all on that new server.

The CentOS 6 systems are fine - no issues at all with updates and/or yum
repositories.

Thanks,

PG