[Spacewalk-list] Migrating from 2.7 to 2.9

Paul Greene paul.greene.va at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 20:01:07 UTC 2019

Hello,

I have a bunch of systems registered to a Spacewalk 2.7 server and am in
the process of moving them over to a newly built 2.9 server.

For the first client I moved over, I removed all of the old 2.7 client
packages and then installed the new ones from the 2.9 client packages.

For subsequent clients, I found that I could replace the existing 2.7
/usr/share/rhn/RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT with the cert from that first 2.9
client, and then re-run:
rhnreg_ks --serverUrl=https://<new-server>/XMLRPC --ssl
CACert=/usr/share/rhn/RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT --activationkey=1-<new key>
--force

It seemed to register with the new server just fine without having to
update any rhn-* client packages.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I'm wondering if not updating any of the
client packages to 2.9 is going to cause any issues that aren't initially
apparent. I tried to push out some remote commands to a group of 7 systems,
and I usually start seeing some successful and/or failed actions within
maybe 15 minutes or so, but it's been about an hour and a half now and
there hasn't been any movement yet on the remote tasks.

Can anyone think of any potential issues I might be running in to taking
this route?

PG