[Spacewalk-list] Is it possible to use spacewalk without registering?

William H. ten Bensel WHTENBEN at up.com
Mon Oct 14 16:23:47 UTC 2019

You can, just pay attention to the NOTE from item 2.

1.  Create a distribution.
        You may have this already done.  If not, there is plenty of
documentation out there on how to do this.

2.  Create a kickstart profile for each parent (base) channel, and select
all of the child channels that you want exposed.
        Again, plenty of documentation out there for creating channels and
kickstart profiles.

        NOTE: Do not have any packages in the parent channel, all packages
need to be in the child channels.    I could not figure out how to get the
parent exported properly.
                If you have packages in the parent channel:
                a)  If you are "cloning" channels like most users are.. ie
upstream, dev, test, prod.  You will want to create an empty child channel
of the upstream parent channel, and then clone it to dev.  Then clone dev
-> test, test -> prod.
                b)  Compare the channels, and copy all of the packages
into the appropriate child channel.
                c)  Empty out the parent channel AFTER verifying the # of
packages match the new child channel
                d) Update any scheduled tasks for repository sync's to the
new child channel

3.  Under the kickstart profile, there is a tab that says kickstart file.
There you will see the baseurl that is needed.
        If you want to script the creation of the baseurls, the following
will assist:

        http://<spacewalk>/ks/dist/child/<child channel
label>/<distribution label>

4. Create a .repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/, with the baseurls that are
listed in the kickstart file.

In addition, the following is a great way to mirror only the packages and
create http repositories by using cron, httpd/nginx, reposync, createrepo,
hardlink (space saver).  However, when you download the packages it
creates a directory called getPackage.

Why even do the mirror???  I have seen these three reasons, there may be
more.

        a)  Migrating off of Spacewalk into just http repositories and
kickstart url.   Using other tools (chef/ansible/puppet) to manage
configuration files and inventory.
        b) There are devices that are restricted from connecting to almost
everything in which you and another party, who validates the repo, have to
sneakernet the repo.
        c)  yum and yum download are horrible for devices that have
limited or intermittent network bandwidth.  By doing the mirror, you can
push only the needed packages to the system through other means that have
resume type functionality (rsync/wget/etc)...

- Thanks and good luck