[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 2.9 error when registering OEL8 client

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Tue Sep 3 19:59:25 UTC 2019

The dnf-plugin-spacewalk that ships with OL8 won't work, because it has been modified to register with ULN, so you'll need to replace it with the Spacewalk 2.9 client packages. However, I'm not sure if there are CentOS 8 client packages yet.

> On 4 Sep 2019, at 3:57 am, Grau, Roderick <rgrau at albany.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello Spacewalk list.
>
> Fresh Spacewalk 2.9 server.
> OEL 8 kickstart image.
>
> System does not register with Spacewalk server after kickstarting.
>
> Manually running rhnreg_ks produces a trace back from the Spacewalk server.
>
> Exception Handler Information
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spacewalk/server/apacheRequest.py", line 135, in call_function
>     response = func(*params)
>   File "/usr/share/rhn/server/handlers/xmlrpc/registration.py", line 519, in new_system
>     architecture, data)
>   File "/usr/share/rhn/server/handlers/xmlrpc/registration.py", line 358, in create_system
>     and not rhnVirtualization.is_host_uuid(virt_uuid):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnVirtualization.py", line 850, in is_host_uuid
>     uuid = eval('0x%s' % uuid)
>   File "<string>", line 1
>     0x4232f070-45a2-7890-050c-503572164b66
>                   ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> The error on the system in /root/ks-rhn-post.log:
> rhn-plugin: Error communicating with server. The message was:
>
> Error Message:
>     Required members missing
> Error Class Code: 21
> Error Class Info: Invalid arguments passed to function.
> Explanation:
>      An error has occurred while processing your request. If this problem
>      persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/>.
>      If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
>      details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
>      details on how to reproduce this problem.
>
> ERROR: unable to read system id.
>
> Thank you.
> -Roderick
Avi Miller | Senior Manager | +61 (03) 8616-3496
Oracle Linux and VM Product Management
417 St Kilda Road, Melbourne VIC 3004 Australia