[Spacewalk-list] Installing Spacewalk 2.10 in AWS using Postgres RDS

David Giordano David.Giordano at synchronoss.com
Tue Apr 28 19:07:35 UTC 2020

Hello Spacewalk Community,

We are currently attempting to get the latest, stable version of Spacewalk installed in AWS using a Postgres RDS backend.

Wondering if anyone out there on the Net has ever gotten this to work?  I did some googling around and I have seen some attempts but never a full, successful install.

Our current hurdle is when we go to run this command on the DB:

(As per: https://github.com/spacewalkproject/spacewalk/wiki/PostgreSQLServerSetup)

postgres=> create language pltclu;
ERROR:  must be superuser to create procedural language "pltclu"

We get the above error.

So, obviously, the user AWS created on the DB doesn’t have the proper permissions to install the untrusted version of this language.  I read that the superuser in AWS has a limited set of privileges and this is what we are seeing as well.  A colleague suggested we rather try the other, trusted version of TCL called pltcl.  I have some reservations about a deviation from the specs but does anyone know if this will work?  It installed it fine:

postgres=> create language pltcl;
CREATE LANGUAGE

postgres=> select * from pg_language;
lanname  | lanowner | lanispl | lanpltrusted | lanplcallfoid | laninline | lanvalidator | lanacl
internal |       10 | f       | f            |             0 |         0 |         2246 |
c        |       10 | f       | f            |             0 |         0 |         2247 |
sql      |       10 | f       | t            |             0 |         0 |         2248 |
plpgsql  |       10 | t       | t            |         13309 |     13310 |        13311 |
pltcl    |    16393 | t       | t            |         74855 |         0 |            0 |
(5 rows)

Thank you,

Jg