[Spacewalk-list] Alternatives

Emmett Hogan ehogan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 19:17:39 UTC 2020

Hi Everyone,

First off, I want to thank everyone in this community for all the help over
the years, Spacewalk has been a life saver and I've taken it through two
companies now.  I know that there are folks continuing to maintain
Spacewalk, but with the official end of the project and the decision from
IBM/Red Hat to  EOL CentOS 8 in a year; we are faced with the decision of
what distro to move to (if we change at all).

Basically, I'm asking for your thoughts on distros and provisioning systems
(like spacewalk) for an enterprise.  We have always been a CentOS house,
but we are not CentOS/Red Hat "snobs"... we would definitely consider other
distros.... well, maybe not Mint. :-)  It's all for server based
applications, no desktop.

I guess it's pretty obvious, since we've been running the business on
CentOS and Spacewalk, that cost is a definite consideration.

Thanks again for everyone's hard work!

Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated!

-Emmett