[Tendrl-devel] Missing installation instructions

Alfredo Deza adeza at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 06:08:08 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Martin Kudlej <mkudlej at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what are installation instructions, please?
> <snip from conversation with Rohan>
> For tendrl/gluster_bridge and tendrl/ceph_bridge, you can do "python
> setup.py install" and configure /etc/tendrl/tendrl.conf and run cmd
> "tendrl_gluster_bridge" or "tendrl_ceph_bridge".
> Tendrl-api and tendrl-node-agents are not in working condition yet.
> </snip>

That type of interacting with python installation is going to cause
some problems. What a raw call to `python setup.py install` will do
is install the Python package and its dependencies globally. This will
cause issues when developing, as it can be very tricky to
remove/reinstall
Python packages and dependencies.

> Are there any other requirements which should be done for installation?
> Installation of any packages? Do we already need to install for example
> Etcd?

If the Python code is not standalone and requires system dependencies
it will be far easier to start producing distro packages and a
system that can get them out when developing.