[Tendrl-devel] bugs

John Spray jspray at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 07:31:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Jeff Applewhite <japplewh at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'd like to gage people's thoughts on the proper place for bugs in Tendrl.
> Among the options are:
> -------------------------------------
>
> Pros/Cons
>
> Jira
>
> Pros: close to the project management side of things, good history for this
> type of function in Jira, ?
> Cons: further from the code, medium feature capability, ?
>
> Github issues
>
> Pros: closer to the code (and the developers), ?
> Cons: quite simple, lack of features, ?
>
> Bugzilla*
>
> Pros:  full featured, well known, eases the pain for downstream (duplicative
> reduction/no sync needed), ?
> Cons: Further from the code, not integrated into Jira, ?
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> I want to hear people's honest opinion of the pros/cons of each so we make a
> good choice. Please add to or correct the pros/cons list.

I don't mind which tool, as long as you don't have all three!

If github or bugzilla is used for bug reports, then I don't think it's
going to be helpful to have Jira in the mix as well.  Even if it has
nice project management features, it is not worth having the same
ticket potentially in three trackers (bugzilla for Red Hat, Jira for
Tendrl planning, and github for writing code).

IMHO github issues or jira would both be reasonable candidates for
elimination from the picture.  Eliminating Jira would probably save
the most effort as it's an entirely separate platform.

John