[Tendrl-devel] UX: Design Approach and Information Architecture

John Spray jspray at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 09:34:01 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Ju Lim <julim at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi.  I've started documenting the UX Design Approach and Information
> Architecture (JIRA TEN-40).  It includes some of our guiding principles and
> decisions that we've made in our design.
>
> Here's an initial draft that you can take a look at:
> https://docs.google.com/a/redhat.com/presentation/d/1P4ejy0Q7BT0PHa2H4wC_nFAh--Db72NpX8yT44qU3Rc/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Note: For now it's open to be comments by anyone with a Red Hat account.  I
> plan to publish this to Jira and/or GitHub before the end of Sprint 1 (Oct
> 4), but I'd like to open this up to review, comments, and discussion in the
> meantime.

Thanks for posting!

My main piece of feedback is on terminology -- I think it's going to
get confusing to use a mixture of qualified names (e.g. "RBD" instead
of "block device") and unqualified names (e.g. "File Share" when we
really mean "Gluster").

I have a special attachment to use of "File Share" because when Tendrl
gets support for CephFS, everywhere the term is used is going to need
qualifying with whether we're talking about Ceph or Gluster.  I don't
think anyone is working on adding Tendrl support for CephFS at the
moment, but it should be part of the design process, along with RGW.

Terms like "Quotas" are also dangerous, because we have so many
different kinds.  In Ceph alone, we have Quotas on pools, and then a
totally different type of quota on directories in cephfs.  Same for
snapshots, we have pool snapshots, rbd snapshots, cephfs snapshots.

John