[Tendrl-devel] Tendrl Community update - Governance

Martin Bukatovic mbukatov at redhat.com
Wed Jul 19 15:33:34 UTC 2017

On 07/15/2017 08:49 PM, Rohan Kanade wrote:
> Pleased to share updates from Tendrl core team related to Governance
> structure of Tendrl community
>
> Link:
> https://github.com/Tendrl/documentation/wiki/Tendrl-Governance-and-Community

When it comes to the unsupported repos (the last section in the
Governance wikipage linked above), I have the following notes.

Repositories with usmqe- prefix are maintained by usmqe team[1] and
the question is whether to rename them or to move them out of Tendrl
github organization. And I guess that the decision will boil down
the a question what do we understand by *adaptation to Tendrl repo
best practices*.

The other point I would like to raise here is suggestion to merge
usmqe-setup with tendrl-ansible doesn't make sense, because the
purpose and focus of these two repositories is very different:

* tendrl-ansible is official part of tendrl project, following the
  tendrl branching model and will be part of next upstream release.
  The purpose of this repository is to automate tendrl installation
  based on tendrl documentation, for others to install it either on
  poc virtual machines or production.

* usmqe-setup is not part of tendrl upstream release. The main
  purpose of this repository is to automate qe related setup operations,
  such as installation of qe tools, setup of qe infrastructure,
  description of ci environment and test case setup. This has no
  direct value for tendrl user. Some playbooks here uses roles
  from tendrl-ansible - as there is no value in duplicating them.

We actually did the opposite recently: we moved ansible roles which
are useful for general installation out of usmqe-setup into tendrl
ansible project.

I hope this description helps to shed some light to the situation.

[1] https://usmqe-tests.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usmqe_team.html

--
Martin Bukatovic
USM QE team