[Tendrl-devel] tendrl logging

Martin Bukatovic mbukatov at redhat.com
Fri Jun 23 18:15:01 UTC 2017

Hi all,

looking into logging configuration of tendrl-node-agent, I think
that writing down some explanation and reasoning behind these
defaults would be useful.

See /etc/tendrl/node-agent/node-agent_logging.yaml

```
handlers:
    console:
        class: logging.StreamHandler
        level: DEBUG
        stream: ext://sys.stdout

    info_file_handler:
        class: logging.handlers.SysLogHandler
        facility: local5
        address: /dev/log
        level: INFO

loggers:
    my_module:
        level: ERROR
        handlers: [console]
        propagate: no

root:
    level: INFO
    handlers: [console, info_file_handler]

```

This looks like we log on INFO level into syslog,
but with DEBUG level into stdout, which means that
this would go into journald. Then we have a default
for my_module and for root logger.

It would be useful to connect the dots with the default
behavior when I see little different type of messages
in syslog file /var/log/tendrl/node-agent/node-agent.log
compared to journald (journalctl -u tendrl-node-agent).

I'm not questioning the decisions, but I think that documenting
this with the admin who would run this in mind would be super
useful for debugging and maintenance.

--
Martin Bukatovic
USM QE team