[Thincrust-devel] Re: Auto-discard notification

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 14:23:09 UTC 2008

Sorry that this got filtered out. Please make sure that you are
subscribed at :

David Huff wrote:

>> The attached message has been automatically discarded.

>> Subject:
>> How do I activate example appliances?
>> From:
>> Sharad Mishra <snmishra at us.ibm.com>
>> Date:
>> Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:19:02 -0700
>> To:
>> thincrust-devel at redhat.com
>>
>> Hi,)
>>       I installed thincrust on a fedora 9 machine. I followed the steps
>> mentioned in "Running Locally" section of
>> http://thincrust.net/ace-setup.html.

If you have set up ace on your machine, then it will attempt to execute
the puppet recipies against your local machine. These will work if the
required packages are installed (see below).

>> When I run "ace list appliances", I see a list of already installed
>> appliances on this machine. My question is, How do I activate these
>> appliances? I ran "ace install <appliance>", I did not see any error but
>> nothing seemed to have happened either? Do I need to run
>> "appliance-creator"?

Each applaince recipie is bundled into an RPM. This rpm continas all the
depdencies for the recipe to work (for example, the drupal appliance
will require that drupal be installed). Running the appliance creator
will take these recipe rpms and turn them into a virtual machine for you.

>> I have been able to build and activate appliances using appliance-creator
>> and example kickstart files.

Great.. glad to see that this worked. As you can see, the local install
is more for rapid prototyping/debugging. To really test it out you need
to build the actual appliance.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

-- bk