[Thincrust-devel] appliance-creator, spacewalk and cobbler

Kay Williams kwilliams at renditionsoftware.com
Mon Nov 10 19:51:31 UTC 2008

Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Kay Williams wrote:
>> I am trying to wrap my head around planned relationships between
>> appliance-creator, spacewalk and cobbler. Does the attached diagram
>> look about right?
>
> Mostly correct. What we envision is that there is a need to manage the
> flow the packages within the dev process of an appliance. So, within
> your mirror link.. there should be a means to create a "DEV" appliance
> (with repos) and move them through a test / stage / production process
> where any of the various lifecycle steps could be on completely
> different machines / networks.

Here's an updated diagram. In this version I show the remote/master spacewalk
server as just another source of appliance content. I also show two environments
where appliance creator runs.  The first is a lightweight developer environment
where appliances are created and tested quickly without need of
spacewalk/cobbler infrastructure.  The second is a test/staging/production
environment in which I imagine Spacewalk as a container to manage lifecycle
workflow including driving appliance creator to build and update appliances,
kicking off automated test suites, and advancing tested appliance to staging and
production cobbler servers, etc.

Just one way of thinking about how the parts could all fit together from a
product perspective.