[Thincrust-devel] packaging of sparse raw disk images

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 18:47:58 UTC 2008

In the latest appliance-tools you can use .tar.bz2 among other formats for
packaging up your appliances.

I've tried building appliances with sparse raw disks and a disk that
should have been empty ends up being non sparse (and 20GB of zeros) after
extracting from the tar.bz2.

Doing a stupid sanity check, I did the following:
qemu-img create -f raw foo.img 100M
tar -cvf foo.tar foo.img
tar -xvf foo.tar

And the image is non-sparse.

This really doesn't affect the distribution of appliances, since whether
the image is non-sparse and compressed via gz/bz2 or qcow compress doesn't
matter.  In the end the difference in archive size will be negligible.

Just wanted to point this out...

Perry

--
|=-        Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston        -=|
|=-                     Email: pmyers at redhat.com                      -=|