[Thincrust-devel] [Fwd: Re: starting Fedora Server SIG]

David Huff dhuff at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 19:57:03 UTC 2008

Interesting discussion on fedora-list sounds similar to thincrust....

Colin Walters píše v Út 11. 11. 2008 v 14:04 -0500:
> [...]
SIG. The
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DanHorak/ServerSIG

 > > Sounds like a great idea; as you state, I think it is important to
 > > have a voice for the more conservative server side in Fedora to
 > > counterpoint the fast-moving desktop.
 > >
 > > In addition to the list of goals you have there, I would suggest:
 > >
 > > * Create an official minimal server spin image, link to it on
 > > fedoraproject.org/get-fedora (when we do this, we can relegate the
 > > choose-your-own-adventure DVD images to a secondary page)
 > > * Consider creating a landing point page for all the admin
 > > technologies in Fedora (kickstart, cobbler, etc.) Does one exist now?
 > >
 > > Do you plan to create a mailing list, or use this one?

[snip]

If there was a server spin i would think it would be just enough to have
yum
working  there are so many different server purposes.  I think a better
thing
would be to have kickstart files with different pre-configured systems.
  mail
server, web server, db server etc.  along with kickstarts for setting up
infrastructure, puppet server, dhcp, dns, etc.  perhaps enhancing system-
config-kickstart with the predefined roles to allow customisation or a web
version.

Along with kickstarts  there needs to be whitepapers documenting best
practices.  setting up things like func, koan, cobbler.   showing how the
whole infrastructure can be managed using best practices and open source
tools.  This is where the server SIG can really win.  Fedora
Infrastructure is
a great place to look for a open forward thinking, functional
infrastructure
team

There is also the whole kit and kaboodle of monitoring and alerting, cacti,
nagios, zabbix.  then the security monitoring, audit, snort, prelude and
freinds.  There is a huge scope to work with.

Thanks for bringing this forward.

Dennis