[Thincrust-devel] ec2-creator merge into appliance-tools

Joey Boggs jboggs at redhat.com
Tue Sep 2 13:10:42 UTC 2008

Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Joey Boggs wrote:
>> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>>> Nice work joey. Couple of comments:
>>>
>>> - Can you add a -n attribute so I can name it what I want?
>> Yep can add that in easily
>
> Great!
I'll work on that today

>>> - is there any way to autodetect the inputtype based on the imagefile?
>> I'm thinking there is based on using the output of "file $filename"
>> I'm playing around with glade/pygtk and perhaps adding in a options
>> simple gui interface in shouldn't be too hard.
>
> Dont worry about GUI yet. Lets focus on more commmand line features
> and the whitelisting.
After spending so much time working on the blacklist/whitelist items,
it's gonna be much simpler just to put the list in a file. Based on
comments from  dlutterkort, the interpreter would most likely need to be
written C, as well as passing those directory variables around can be
trouble. There are a few C interpreter/compilers framework types out
that that can work in our case but it just alot of overhead we would
need to add to the image, as well as providing the source that wouldn't
be able to compile correctly on gcc etc... The best and most manageable
route is to put the list inside of $nameAppliance rpm in a predetermined
filename then just run:   /path/to/minimizer $filename  The file
containing the listing can still contain drop/keep commands.  Its much
cleaner, simpler and easier to keep track of should the list get very
granular, and without filling up the kickstart file.

>>> - There is a slight type in the hlp for inputtype.
>>>
>> I'll clean that up, the manualdir feature was going to be for someone
>> that had a directory filled with their custom / contents and just
>> wants to bundle it into EC2 format, should I still pursue that route?
>
> How much extra effort is this? It it is not much, it sounds like a
> good idea.
Very little work, practically copy / paste