[Thincrust-devel] Issues creating RHEL5 appliance

Ian Wilson ian.m.wilson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 09:15:11 UTC 2009

I'm having some issues getting the appliance-creator to work on RHEL5.
 It downloads all of the packages, and then gets to this part and
fails;  I'm not sure if this is a kickstart problem, or an
appliance-creator issue:

    GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename.]
grub> device (hd0) /dev/loop2
grub> root (hd0,1)

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
grub> setup --stage2=/var/tmp/imgcreate-n8Tyne/install_root/boot/grub/stage2
--prefix=/grub  (hd0)

Error 12: Invalid device requested
grub> quit
Finished

When I go and load the resulting image into the Virtual machine
Manager, I am greeted with the qemu screen, and grub never loads or
starts the kernel.  I think I have my kickstart files defined
correctly;  I've attached a kickstart file that seems to replicate
this as well, along with the logs of running the appliance-creator
with the kickstart file in question.

Please let me know if you need any additional information;  also,
please feel free to point me in the direction of the documentation (I
didn't see anything) or to the code if it's a simple problem.

Thanks;

Ian

--
Ian Wilson

Solving site load issues with database replication is a lot like
solving your own personal problems with heroin -- at first, it sorta
works, but after a while things just get out of hand.