[Thincrust-devel] Expanding a Thincrust loopback file onto mounted block device

David Huff dhuff at redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 15:32:05 UTC 2009

On 09/14/2009 10:12 AM, Cameron Ross wrote:
> I'm evaluating the Thincrust tooling to create fedora-based appliance
> images.  My intention is to deploy these images on actual hardware and EC2.
> With the help of Thincrust I'm able to create a raw image, convert this
> image to an AMI image and successfully deploy it on EC2.  Does Thincrust
> have a script that can expand the raw image contained within a loopback file
> out onto a mounted block device?

I am a little confused on exactly what you are asking?  To provision an
appliance described in your ks file to bare metal you can use existing
ks support in anaconda.

You can also copy the contents of the virtual disk directly to a
physical block device, however we have not really tested this.

Something like:

dd if=thincrust.img of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=size

This should copy everything including the partitions and partition
table, however you may still have to set up the mbr on the new disk.
Keep in mind this will blow away everything on the disk you specify as
the out file.

Also, as I said, we have not really tested this scenario....

-D