[Thincrust-devel] How to copy libvirt images to usb/cd so that I can boot them as independent appliance

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 13:35:55 UTC 2009

On 09/15/2009 09:29 AM, Kamesh Jayachandran wrote:
> On 09/15/2009 05:48 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
>> On 09/15/2009 07:35 AM, Kamesh Jayachandran wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Sorry if it is a wrong place to ask.
>>>
>>> I have the appliance created using appliance-creator.
>>>
>>> When I run it using virt-manager it is *terribly* slow with 1G of RAM
>>> dedicated to the guest.
>>
>> Couple of questions:
>>
>> 1) Is this slower than other virtual machines you have run?
>
> No I did not try the other virtual-machines.

Ok.. so perhaps it is not the appliance itself :)

>> 2) KVM or Xen?
>
> I use 'virt-manager' somewhere it shows 'qemu'. I am not sure wether
> qemu is part or Xen or KVM or independent of both. Pardon my ignorance
> and enlight me.

qemu means you are running kvem _or_ you are running emulated. Emulated
would be very slow. When the machine is running, execute the following:

ps -ef | grep qemu

Tell me what you get.

Also.. look at this page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization#System_requirements

And tell me if you are can support full-virt or para virtualized guests.

>>> I think of testing it as an independent appliance.
>>>
>>> My search did not yield good results.
>>>
>>> I copied the libvirt images to usb disk using 'dd' command, but it did
>>> not boot.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> We would need to modify the bootloader of the USB similar to how live
>> USB does it. I dont think it is a a slam dunk. Can you try taking the
>> same kicksart file and runnig it through the liveusb creator? See if
>> that works right out of the box.
>
> I tried it with live-cdcreator and then with liveusb creator.
> I suffer from the space issue once I resolve it will let you know.

Great.. I look forward to hearing how it worked.

-- bk