From: Michael K. Johnson [mailto:johnsonm@redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 10:53 AM
To: tux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: How?

"Magnus Naeslund" writes:
>I'm just interested in trying out TUX on a loaded server here, but i want
>more info.
>How does it work with dynamic stuff?

Either by executing a CGI or by running a TUX module.  TUX module
documentation is available in the tux package, both in the tux.2
man page and in the /usr/share/doc/tux-1.0 directory.

Writing a TUX module is very different from other module programming
paradigms.  It is event-driven instead of connection-oriented.  This
is an important part of the architecture that makes TUX fast, and it
is non-trivial to port most connection-oriented code to event-driven
code.

>Is there much to win with dynamic content? (asp,jsp etc)

It depends on how dynamic the content is.  If it has significant
static portions but a few truly dynamic portions, there is a very
large potential win.  Most dynamic content *is* composed primarily
of selected pieces of static content, so the answer is normally
yes.

Of course, if you are waiting on a database, TUX doesn't make the
database magically go faster.  ;-)

No one (AFAIK) has written TUXapi jsp or php connections.  I do
not have any idea how much work that would be, or even if it is
feasible.

>If possible, how can one configure stuff that worked with apache (resin,
>chilisoft asp, php etc) to work with TUX.

CGIs should just work, once they are enabled (TUX is cautious about
enabling CGIs).    Beyond that, it will involve writing TUX modules.

You can also use TUX to serve some content, and defer to apache
content that TUX does not (or does not yet) know how to provide.
This allows you to migrate your modules from apache to tux one
at a time, on an as-needed basis.

>Is there (detailed) docs to be downloaded somewhere?

The documentation is sufficient (we hope) but not detailed.  Bring
specific, concrete questions to this mailing list in order to improve
the documentation.  All the existing documentation is included in the
tux package.

To make sure you get the right idea: TUX is new technology.  We have
made a good start on documentation, but there's more work to do.  We
have enabled CGIs and given demo code for writing TUX modules, but
the radical shifts in paradigm that make TUX go so fast require more
than trivial efforts to port to.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/