RE: tux project included in main kernel distribution?

Title: RE: tux project included in main kernel distribution?

thanks! i try to keep up with lkml, but the traffic volume has overwhelmed me lately.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Rugolsky Jr. [mailto:rugolsky@ead.dsa.com]
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 2:09 PM
To: tux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: tux project included in main kernel distribution?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:30:06PM -0400, Margulies, Adam wrote:
> I remember Ingo saying they he expected Tux to be included in the main
> kernel by 2.4.5 or 2.4.6, but we're at 2.4.7+ now, Tux isn't available as
> even an experimental option in the main kernel distribution, and Ingo hasn't
> issued new patches in a while.

Much of the Tux infrastructurehas been merged, as Ingo indicated in the
discussion of X15 v. Tux.  For example, zero-copy networking is in.

Linus and others have had their hands full fixing the VM; other
things also need merging, like Al Viro's race fixes.
Until that's done, new features, especially those that touch core code
seem rather unlikely.

> Is there something I'm missing?
> When will there be either new patches for the latest kernel or inclusion in
> the kernel.org distro?

The RedHat kernels include Tux, as do Andrea Arcangeli's patches against
bleeding-edge kernels (see www.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea)

Regards,

  Bill Rugolsky