custom 404 error pages

I've been trying to get 404 error pages to work with virtual hosts with no
success.  My docroot is set to /home/web/www and my virtualhost
directories are inside that directory, respectively.  I've tried numerous
combinations of 404_page settings (pointing both relative to virtualhost
docroot and my main server docroot) to try and get an error page to be
read for my virtual host, but with no success.  Anyone else out there get
this functionality to work?  Thanks,

- dweeks

P.S.  virtual hosts are returning normal page requests w/out a problem