custom 404 error pages

I've been trying to get 404 error pages to work with virtual hosts with no
success.  My docroot is set to /home/web/www and my virtualhost
directories are inside that directory, respectively.  I've tried numerous
combinations of 404_page settings to try and get an error page to be read
for my virtual host, but with no success.  Anyone else out there get this
functionality to work?  Thanks,

- dweeks