TUX processes WON"T DIE! : Are we running windows Danny?

I am experimenting with tux on a 'linux-from-scratch' build.

I don't expect everything to work right-away
( TUX is very redhat-specific, but I've hacked it into working on Slackware 8.0 ) but I am not sure I want to bother continuing because TUX processes
WON'T DIE.

Once I've started TUX, figured out it isn't working, and made adjustments ( my standard development cycle ) I try to restart or kill TUX, and it WON'T DIE, won't HUP, will not GO AWAY unless I restart the machine.  If I wanted this kind of instability I'd run Windows.  These processes are not zombies ( according to ps ) but kill -anything has NO effect on them.
'/proc/PID/status' says 'disk-sleep'.
Is there a fix for this?
I won't run anything that doesn't go away when root says "die."

Chris