Benchmarks

Miles Elam miles at pcextremist.com
Thu Apr 29 18:38:30 UTC 2004

Has anyone made any speed/CPU usage comparisons between TUX and Apache
2.x?  I am especially curious about comparative flat file performance
with the 2.6 kernel, TUX, and Apache with the worker MPM.  The last
comparisons I've seen were between Apache 1.3.x on the 2.4 kernel.
Since Apache 2.x uses sendfile(...) these days, I guess what I'm really
asking about is the overhead of the context switch to userspace.

Nevertheless, for whatever reason...

How big a difference is there in CPU/mem usage, and how big a pipe do
you need before the differences become significant?  If no one's done
it, I'll have to do them myself;  But I figured that I'd check if
someone else has done it first and save myself some time.

- Miles Elam