Running Tux with no secondary server?

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at vgernet.net
Sun Apr 18 15:01:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:37:31 +0200, Ingo Molnar <mingo at elte.hu> wrote:

> * William M. Shubert <wms at igoweb.org> wrote:
>
>> Since I have no dynamic content at all coming off of this system, is
>> this possible with Tux? I see tux has a /proc entry for the port of
>> the secondary web server, should I do anything special there to tell
>> tux "don't bother," or would it be OK to just leave that value at some
>> port that nobody is listening on?
>
> if the secondary server does not exist then Tux will generate a simple
> error reply if it encounters a request that it cannot handle. I.e. it
> should work just fine with static content.
>
> 	Ingo

I'm a relative newbie for linux, but...

When I was testing and debugging my server setup on Redhat 9, I turned off
the apache secondary server.
	service httpd stop
Somewhere there is a configuation that will say don't start the httpd on
bootup.
You'll need to find and configure that too. This will leave tux running by
itself.

The Tux configuration file specifies which files to pass to the secondary
server.
This is the TUX/redirect line in file etc/tux.mime.types (on my Redhat 9
system).
You will need to comment those all out.

Tux should also be configured to watch port 80 (the default in Redhat 9).

I'm assuming it should not be much different on other than Redhat systems.

Hope this helps.

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
page first!)
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.