Strange behavior with Tux 3/2.4.23

Chris Davies mcd at daviesinc.com
Thu Feb 26 17:02:58 UTC 2004

I've got a machine that we're installing Tux on that runs some custom
software but uses the Tux accelerator for images.

With apache2, Tux passes the information to the backend properly, the
pages are served as expected.

With apache 1.3.29, Tux doesn't seem to pass the host header to apache
in a manner that apache can read.  I can telnet to port 81 and do even
the most basic commands and get the proper results, both HTTP/1.0 and
HTTP/1.1

But, anytime I telnet to port 80 and issue

GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: site.com

I get

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://xxxx.xxxxxxxx.com//

and in the apache log:

[Thu Feb 26 11:17:16 2004] [error] [client 67.34.200.112] File does not
exist: /var/www//

if I put /var/www/index.html in there, it will serve index.html, which
is specified as the DocumentRoot for apache, but, proves that apache1 is
not getting/reading the Host Header properly.

If I tell tux not to redirect html, it will serve the correct html.  If
I hit apache on port 81, it will serve the correct html.

The same VirtualHost config works fine on apache2, but fails on apache
1.3.

I had this problem on a machine a while back running apache 1.3.x, but
didn't make the conclusion that apache wasn't decoding the host info
from the backend.  My guess is that apache1.3 must get confused by some
info that tux is handing it whereas apache2 is able to decode that info.

I am reasonably sure my config of apache1.3 is solid -- and the only
change to tux is to change from port 81 to 82 for Apache1 and Apache2
respectively.

Client must use Apache 1.3 in this particular instance.

Any thoughts?

Debian 3.0/Sid/unstable
Kernel 2.4.23
Tux 3/0/0 according to the tux userland utilities
apache 1.3.29
apache 2.0.47

/etc/apache/httpd.conf

ServerType standalone
ServerRoot /etc/apache
LockFile /var/lock/apache.lock
PidFile /var/run/apache.pid
ScoreBoardFile /var/run/apache.scoreboard

KeepAlive Off
MinSpareServers 15
MaxSpareServers 30
StartServers 75
MaxClients 1000
MaxRequestsPerChild 10000

Port 81

Include /etc/apache/modules.conf

User www-data
Group www-data

ServerAdmin webmaster at daviesinc.com
ServerName fs1.colo-cation.com
DocumentRoot /var/www
ServerSignature Off
ServerTokens Prod
AddDefaultCharset on

<Directory />
    Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/>
    Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.cgi

UseCanonicalName On
TypesConfig /etc/mime.types
DefaultType text/plain

HostnameLookups Off
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error.log
LogLevel warn

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined

Include /etc/apache/conf.d
Include /etc/local-config/apache

/etc/apache/modules.conf

ClearModuleList
AddModule mod_so.c
AddModule mod_macro.c
LoadModule config_log_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule mime_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_mime.so
LoadModule dir_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_dir.so

VirtualHost Config:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /var/www/1.2.3.4/xxxx.xxxxxxxx.com
ServerName xxxx.xxxxxxxx.com
CustomLog /var/log/apache/xxxx.xxxxxxxx.com-access.log full
</VirtualHost>