Need help configuring tux and apache to work together for localhost and virtual hosting

Chris Davies mcd at daviesinc.com
Tue Mar 16 18:45:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 13:21, Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. wrote:
> But now I have a different problem. I can no longer see the default host
> on the linux machine.  (/var/www/html is no longer accessible from either
> my linux machine or from my windows machine via the lan.)
what virtual host is set to answer for /var/www/html

> However, I can no longer see the linux local host site from either the
> linux machine or the W2K machine.
> Entering http://192.168.0.2/ on the W2K machine simply produces a blank
> screen after some delay.
do you have ServerName 192.168.0.2 defined somewhere?

> Entering http://127.0.0.1/ on the linux machine does the same.
do you have ServerName 127.0.0.1 defined somewhere?

> The tux log does not show a GET request corresponding to either of these
> events.  Neither does the apache log.
> It looks like the request is not being seen by Tux.

telnet 192.168.0.2 80
GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: 127.0.0.1

(then hit enter twice)

> I can read file://localhost and get the root directory of the linux system
> (from the linux system), but,
> http://localhost/ just comes back blank.
is it defined in apache as a valid servername?

i.e. ServerName localhost